I have to mention, in my defence, he is not the easiest person to buy for and usually the things he really likes have a pretty high price tag. So he never asks for them. He also is very particular about the clothes he wears and music he listens to.
I would make him something, but 1) I'm artistically challenged (and he's an artist) 2) I just don't have the time (but I've got time to blog?) Well, actually this is a logistical problem. The only time I could really work on something is when the kids are in bed and... 3) There's no room! I could never keep it a secret in my little place. The only place to work would be in our living room and HE'S THERE.
So, I've been thinking. Maybe I'll sell my hair. Then I can get him that chain for his pocket watch that he's always wanted. (kidding!) If it's the thought that counts, I'd like to list 13 gifts I would give my dearest if money and time were not an issue.
1) 1 week in the Caribbean.
Jeremy served his mission in the French West Indies. We've always talked about going there. (Might as well start out big, as long as we're dreaming)
2) A hand made sweater vest like Wallace's.3) A really awesome new computer.

5) The U2 B-sides that I lost.
6) A cool new portfolio case.
7) The retro scooter that he likes.
8) An iPhone.9) A house.

10) The little sail boat he's always wanted.

11) Tickets to a show on Broadway.
12) A yellow, refurbished 1974 VW Beetle
13) A really nice guitar.
Nice list, eh?
One of our favorite songs is "If I had $1,000,000" by Barenaked Ladies. We've danced around to that song in the very humblest of homes. One of the lines in the songs says,"If I had $1,000,000 I'd buy your love." The love that I feel from my husband is worth more than anything in the whole wide world. You just can't put a price on it. There is nothing that compares to it.
There's another great song in Fiddler on the Roof where Tevia asks his wife if she loves him. They have 5 children and have been married for 25 years and yet, as his daughters begin to marry for love, he wonders if his wife even loves him. She answers by saying something like this: For 25 years I've washed your clothes, cooked your food, cleaned your house, raised your children, and stayed by your side in sickness and health. If that's not love, what is?
Jeremy, when you open your predictable presents this Christmas, I want you to know that if I could, I would give all these things listed above. I wish that I could wrap up my heart that loves and is dedicated to you in a pretty box. Then you could display it somewhere and it would remind you always. For now, my cleaning, cooking, child rearing, hugs and kisses will have to do.
7 comments:
What a cute post!! Chet and I love that Barenaked ladies song too!!! Oh, and I 2nd wanting that vintage bug- only please get mine in red and convertable top... for my imagineable surfboard! Thanks:)
Sweet post. I'd buy you a green dress, but not a real green dress, that's cruel... :)
I love Fiddler on the Roof too.
I love your posts, especially this one! I am feeling the exact same way this year about shopping for my amazing husband. If only money were no object. :) For now, and most likely for always, we will just have to make sure they know how much we love them and desire to give them the world if we could.
I totally love how much Jeremy and Rich have in common. Especially the apple iphone and new computer part. Apple is awesome, but the stuff gets upgraded so often that you can never keep up. I know Jeremy totally doesn't care what you get him for Christmas as long as he is with you and the kids. Love you and Merry Christmas Sonja!
That's so sweet! We're in the exact same position as you right now! If I could buy my husband what he really wants, I'd get him his 46" flat screen TV, but instead I have boring old clothes for work and stuff. And if I could, "I'd buy you a monKEY!" Cute post.
Very sweet post that hits close to home. My hubby doesn't ask for much and every once in a while when he does want something it usually costs quite a bit. Only it's typically a new rifle or pistol, electronics make him mad and then he starts swearing. ;D We love Fiddler on the Roof! Mr. Ferrero Rocher actually does one heck of a Tevia impression.
I have the very same problem with buying gifts for my hubby. I will never be able to afford the things he dreams of owning. I finally came up with something unique this year. I made him a "magic ironing hook" It is an over the door hook with a little sign that says that anything placed on the hook will be magically ironed by the time he leaves for work in the morning.
Post a Comment