Jan 9, 2008

Till we meet again.




Sweet rose, fair flower, untimely pluck'd, soon vaded,
Pluck'd in the bud, and vaded in the spring!
Bright orient pearl, alack, too timely shaded!
Fair creature, kill'd too soon by death's sharp sting!
Like a green plum that hangs upon a tree,
And falls, through wind, before the fall should be.
--Shakespeare

The last time a spoke with her was probably 8 or 9 years ago. I didn't even know that she was living in Utah. Then I read a horrific story in the paper about a woman being shot in the parking lot of her church building. I was mortified to learn that woman was my old friend Kristy. After some reflection, a flood of memories tumbled into my mind. I sought out my old photo albums and wondered how many other people would be doing the same this week. Probably many, many grief-stricken people.

I knew her as Kristy Palizzi. We were in the singles ward together in Puyallup. I'll admit I was a little intimidated by her at first. Who wouldn't be? She was beautiful, confident, popular, strong, smart and talented. Yet, when you got to know her she was so real. I remember singing in "My Servant Joseph" with her. I remember hearing her sing at church. She had a rich, gorgeous voice. I remember talking with her about Jeremy, when we first started dating. She was very good friends with Jeremy's sister-in-law. She came to my bridal shower and she came to my wedding. Her mom helped my mom with the reception. Her mom also gave me piano lessons for awhile. Oh! My heart grieves, the more I reflect on these memories, however brief they may be. There is a small space in there for hope. The knowledge that we have a Savior. While our poor mortal minds find these things difficult and painful to perceive, He in his infinite mercy and wisdom is able to perfectly carry out the justice that is needed. He, alone, can provide the balm of comfort and the whisperings of peace.

We are going to the funeral on Saturday. I will bring these quotes with me in my heart. Once again, I find that I do not have the right words and so, must lean on someone else.

Perhaps they are not the stars, but rather openings in Heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy. ~Author Unknown

Although it's difficult today to see beyond the sorrow,
May looking back in memory help comfort you tomorrow.
~Author Unknown

Death leaves a heartache no one can heal, love leaves a memory no one can steal. ~From a headstone in Ireland

He spake well who said that graves are the footprints of angels. ~Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Life is eternal, and love is immortal,
and death is only a horizon;
and a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.
~Rossiter Worthington Raymond

But there is a resurrection, therefore the grave hath no victory, and the sting of death is swallowed up in Christ. Mosiah 16: 8


There is a memorial fund set up for Kristy's two children. You may donate to it at any Wells Fargo Bank under the Ragsdale Children Fund.

8 comments:

Jill Hunt said...

When Paul and I heard that sad story on the news, our hearts were so full of sadness for her family. And on her way to church. We will never understand completely the way things happen, but we know that Heavenly Father is always aware of those in need. I am so sad that this was a friend of yours and I know that HE will also feel your heart with peace as well. My prayers are with you and her family!

Bertie said...

Oh, Sonja! I'm so sorry to hear about your dear friend! This breaks my heart to hear a story like this..... I'm so grateful that you have the knowledge and a testimony of the Savior so that you can be filled with peace and know she is in the best place in the world right now. How tragic for one to think they may never see their loved ones again, and not believe in eternity. My prayers are with you and your family and with Kristy's family as well.

Montserrat said...

What a shocking, tragic story. I can only imagine how her family must feel, how you must feel. To think of her precious children just brings tears to my eyes. Thank goodness for the hope of the resurrection. Let the grieving process take its course. I'll be thinking about you!

Unknown said...

What a tragic story. My heart goes out to her poor children. What an awful way to loose both your parents. My prayers are with her family and all those affected as they begin to heal.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

I am so very sorry for your loss and for what her family is going through. My best friend was murdered nearly 3 years ago and it still hurts. Hang in there.

Ice Cream said...

Even having dealt with death close to home, I don't know what to say. I thank you for the lovely quotes which help to sooth the still raw memories I have of death coming too soon. I will keep her family in my prayers tonight.

nicole said...

Oh my gosh Sonja, I'm just sick about this. What an awful story. My heart goes out to all those who knew her...especially her family that will be left behind. I will be sure to remember those who have been affected in my prayers. Thank you for sharing all of those beautiful quotes and scriptures. They not only touched my heart, but I'm sure they have (and will) provide comfort to those who have lost loved ones. Once again, I am truly sorry for the loss of your friend. May the Lord envelop you in a blanket of comfort - even the Holy Ghost. I love you.

Poppy said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. What a travesty. Thank goodness for the truth of the Gospel. You and her family are in my prayers.