Jan 20, 2008

Weekly Report: Plugging along

It's been a pretty good week. Upon reflection, it doesn't feel like the most productive week, but at the end of the day everyone was happy. Lately, that consummates a successful day. Elise and Anna have colds. So for half of the week, Elise didn't do much besides reading. Sam has figured out that if he gets his school work done right away, he has much more free time during the day. Also, Sam was a lucky guy this week because Jeremy took him skiing on Saturday. Sam loves skiing! I wish we could take him more often, he seems to be a natural.

Here are some of our favorite books we read this week:

Sam LOVED Iron Thunder (so did I). We read Mr. Popper's Penguins and King of the Wind aloud. What great books! No wonder they got Newberry awards. Elise really liked The Snow Globe Family and everyone was captivated by The Snow Queen.

Scripture Study: Through 3 Nephi 19.
It has been so meaningful to read the Savior's words to the Nephites. We have taken to heart his teachings about prayer and baptism. Sometimes it feels like we are there. How I would have loved my children to have been in his arms and blessed by his own hands. Then I am reminded, as Jeremy blesses our children with colds this week, that we have the opportuntiy to have the very same blessings those Nephite children had.

Samuel (8):
  • Saxon 5/4 lesson 46 - 50
  • Language Arts: Poetry Unit Study
  • Spelling: beautiful, spacious, skies, majesties, information, awesome, spread, upon
  • Memorization:."Snowflakes"
  • Reading: Iron Thunder Avi
  • Journal writing:good
  • Science: crystals, chain reactions
  • Piano: "Matchmaker"
  • Art: Grecian Vase
  • Composer:
  • SOTW: Chapter19-20: The Early Greeks - Civilized Greece (We really liked our Usborne book of Ancient History)
  • Geography: Europe
  • Cub Scouts: Chinese New Year projects
Elise (6):
  • Saxon 2 lessons 46-50. Facts tests. Assessment test.
  • Language Arts: Complete sentences,
  • Spelling: dancing, jump, first, position, twirl, circles, dance, done, later, curtsy
  • Reading: The Snowglobe Family, King of the Wind, Mr. Popper's Penguins
  • Journal writing: good
  • memorization: "Snowflakes"
  • Science: crystals, chain reaction, sense of touch
  • SOTW: see above
  • Piano: "My Team"
  • Composer:
  • Art: Grecian vase
  • 50 States Book: Wyoming
Claire (3): Letter O activities. Still our strong, helpful, happy girl. Claire is getting really good at cartwheels. She loves to play in the snow.

Anna (1): Not feeling so well. Hopefully next week will be better. But she has, of her own accord, been using the toilet. Not consistantly. But I haven't pushed it at all. She just wants to be like the big kids. We'll see how it goes. Maybe I will work with her more on it. It sure would be nice to be done with diapers!








6 comments:

Ice Cream said...

I am jealous of your homeschool wall. I need to let myself do that. I just get so paraniod about ruining the walls because we rent.

Were the Newberry books fun to read? A few years ago I tried getting us into Newberry books but my daughter didn't like how sad they all were. I know there are happier ones out there, I just don't know which ones.

Alan and Jeni said...

We'll have to check out a few of those books. We're always looking for good reads. Emma and Landon enjoyed "Snow Globe Family" too. I love reading about your homeschool. You guys are amazing!

Sonja said...

Ice cream,
We rent too. Eeek! So it is on my mind too. We go through a lot of masking tape. That is usually kinder to the walls.

Mr. Popper's and King of the Wind both have happy endings. Mr. Popper's was pretty funny and King was beautifully written. My children were very quiet as I read King, it was so captivating. (Even my 3 year old!!)

I know what you mean though, we've been dissapointed by some Newberry books too. We LOVE happy endings!

DaNiElLe said...

Can I just ask, how did you get into home schooling your kids? I mean, how do you know what to do? Don't you have to be really educated? I mean would it be possible for me to do something like that with my kids? Just curious!

Sonja said...

Danielle-
Anyone can homeschool! The laws vary from state to state, but if you have a strong desire to do it, it can be done! I do think, however, that there are many happy, successful families that don't homeschool. It isn't for everyone and everyone has the right to receive personal revelation for their own families.
I've thought about home schooling for a while, there are many decisions that lead me to where we are now. Mostly, it was the example of others and answers to prayers.
I think I'm going to dedicate a whole post to this, there's just too much to say. So stay tuned Danielle!

Anonymous said...

It looks like a good week. I've decided I like *weekly* reports. If I did daily ones, some would be pretty pathetic, but a week in review always gets a good spin. I think it's good to see all the work added up.

Those are some good books you've read. I don't read aloud nearly enough. For some reason, that's always the first thing to go when we're pressed for time.