Mar 19, 2008

Green Hour #5: Making a list



"It is truly wonderful how love-telling the small voices of these birds are, and how far they reach through the woods into one another's hearts and into ours." --John Muir

"O quick quick quick, quick hear the song-sparrow,
Swamp-sparrow, fox-sparrow, vesper-sparrow
At dawn and dusk. Follow the dance
Of the goldfinch at noon. Leave to chance
The Blackburnian warbler, the shy one. Hail
With shrill whistle the note of the quail, the bob-white....
All are delectable. Sweet sweet sweet...
--Landscapes, T.S. Elliot

(Photo by Cheryl Peterson)

This week for Green Hour we made a list of local birds we would like to study. We hoped to spot some on our walk this week, but we heard more than saw the birds in the Provo canyon. I think the birds can hear my kids coming from miles away and all take to the very tops of the trees safely out of sight. They sent out warning cries and were jabbering with each other up there. I want to learn to tell their songs. We know the chickadee's song because they call to us every morning to fill up the feeder. We know the magpie's song, but he hasn't come back yet. The robin has come a few times to our backyard. And we often see several house finches in our feeders. I have found this website to be very helpful: Whatbird.com

Here is the list we came up with (we will probably add more to it).

After a while of walking around we saw a group of birds eating insects in a clearing on the ground. There were about 20 of them. They blended right in with the brown gray grass. The didn't seem to mind us looking at them. Wouldn't you know, the batteries to my camera ran out, so I could not take a picture. We were not sure what they were, but looked it up when we got home. I'm pretty sure the birds we saw were Black Phoebes, but they are not typically found this far north.
(picture taken from Las Pilitas)
We also saw a river otter! We were very excited about that! We have never seen a river otter here in Utah before. This was the best picture I could take before the batteries went kaput. The shy otter moved very fast.
(you might have to enlarge the picture to even see it.)

We enjoyed being outside so much!
At home we talked about taxonomy and some bird myths and legends. We really like the book, "A Guide to Birding" compiled by Forshaw, Howell, Lindsey, and Stallcup that we got from the library last week.

Anna was curious about what the birds were picking up.

Journal Entries


8 comments:

Barb said...

Great nature study this week! I love your list of birds. I also enjoyed the John Muir quote. :) I am a huge fan of his writing.

I saw the otter!

The journal entries were great....loved seeing them. Thanks for sharing all you did this week.

Thanks for the link,
Barb-Harmony Art MOm

Anonymous said...

Great pictures, what you did take! I like the blue bird, and I love all the drawings for your journals. Thanks for sharing this, we should go together for Green Hour some time.

Sea Star said...

I used to hike in Provo Canyon. It is such a beautiful place! How exciting for the little guys to see a river otter. Just being outside is so great!

Melissa said...

Awesome entry! You are doing a great job on your bird study. That book looks really good and I just checked and our library has it, so it's on reserve. I too loved the poetry, thanks for sharing. Have fun birding.

Blessings, Melissa
In the Sparrow's Nest
www.homeschoolblogger.com/melissal89

Tina in WA said...

What a fun thing to see an otter in the wild.

Your journal entries look wonderful.

~Tina

Tammy said...

Those are some great journal entries!

The river otter is pretty cool, too.

We are so far behind....lol...we just did "week 1" today, but it's all good. We are enjoying this green hour thing so much.

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so jealous that you got to see a wild otter!! They are one of my favourite creatures.

I enjoyed reading your post very much.
~Chrissy

Barb said...

Sonya,

I am hosting the Learning in the Great Outdoors blog carnival next week on my blog and I was wondering if you would be willing to submit this entry for me to include in that post? I think this is such a well done nature study with your family that I think others would benefit from reading it.

Here is the link if you want to submit:
http://blogcarnival.com/bc/cprof_1274.html

Thanks so much, if you have any questions, please email me. harmonyfinearts@yahoo.com

Barb-Harmony Art Mom