May 11, 2008

Green Hour #12: Garden Flowers


Last week our Green Hour focus was on garden flowers. BOY! Were we excited about this. It is amazing how much a little color can change something drab into something beautiful. We still have much to learn about gardening, but these few little flowers that we planted in front of our house are such a welcome sight! Barb has this quote on her post, and I feel it is SO true:
“The only right way to begin plant study with young children is through awakening their interest in and love for flowers.”
Handbook of Nature Study, page 453





Sam, Elise and Claire helped me plant these flowers. We planted the Iris' a few years ago. I don't have pictures of the kids working because my hands were dirty too! We learned about some plant parts. We talked about the things that plants need to grow and thrive. We read some good books about flowers.

Here is a poster we made that shows some of the parts of a flower:


Here are some flowers (and leaves) we pressed:


We started planting our seeds outside few weeks ago, because I am SO impatient and not a very experienced gardener. Here is what our vegetable garden looks like so far (from left to right):
peas, cilantro, grape vines, bell peppers, strawberries, sunflowers, tomatoes, zucchini, and cantaloupe.

Yikes! Don't worry, I watered these plants right after a took these pictures.

5 comments:

Sea Star said...

What beautiful flowers! That labeled poster looks great... I need to do that with my kids. So far we have only bee pointing out the parts.

Your garden looks great too. You are really going to enjoy all those yummy items in a month or two.

Bertie said...

Your green hours are sooo cool!! I think I may start copying you- the summer IS coming!:)

Unknown said...

Your flowers look beautiful!

Barb said...

So colorful and I love the poster with the plant and flower parts!

You are going to have such a great time watching all your baby plants over the coming weeks.

Great job, thanks for posting your link,
Barb

Michal said...

your garden is coming right along. it is so satisfying to see our garden growing. i haven't planted one in years and i've never really been successful, but having this be a part of our homeschooling is really helping it be in our daily routine (hence, our plants are getting water, which is where my other attempts have failed!:)