
We are totally diverging from Barb's Green Hour this week because we are preoccupied with these lovely birds and their eggs. I hope you'll forgive us, Barb! We love you!
I noticed this pair of robins hanging around our backyard a lot a last month. Then, a few weeks ago we found this empty nest. Last week, I just happened to check on the nest one evening and found one beautiful, blue egg in it. We saw the robins a lot more after that. Then, a few days later we found this,

The next day we found this,

Finally, yesterday we found this,

Mama and papa are dutifully sitting on the egg. It's so fun to watch them. While one sits, the other patrols around the tree. Sometimes they both leave for a while. We've been trying to give them some space,

BUT we're so curious!! So, when they are both gone from the nest, I snap a few photos. I've tried to get one of mama on the nest, but it's pretty hard to do if you don't have a good zoom. She doesn't like us to get too close.
Gee, I wonder why. To her, we are probably the strangest, loudest, craziest creatures on earth.
Here was a really neat web site about robins: Journey North: American Robins
Learned a lot from it. For instance, did you know that most robins don't live past their first year? Those that do, however, will usually live 5 or 6 more years. It will take 12-14 days from the time the last egg was laid for the eggs to hatch. So, we're looking at the 28-30 of May for baby robins!
Perhaps the most interesting tidbit was learning how baby robins keep their nest clean. Baby robins produce their poop in fecal sacs, encased in strong membranes so they don't leak.
Sounds like a pretty good idea if you ask me.
6 comments:
I love the color of their eggs! I can't wait to see the progress of the baby birds.
I am so glad you decided to focus on your robin and their eggs! Robin's eggs always are soooo beautiful and I can hardly wait to see if you have babies.
Our nest of jays was ransacked by some other predator and we didn't have a single baby get to leave the nest. It was heartbreaking. You might want to prepare yourself and the kids for the "circle of life" stuff that may happen....hopefully not.
Thanks for the link,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom
Does it feel like great things come to you when you appreciate them? I can't wait to see the pictures of the baby robins!
Your nest pictures have got me singing "I will find a little nest in the branches of a tree. Let us count the eggs inside..."
4 kids! Hey, that's just like you!
Hurray for Mommy Bird! And Daddy too... I have always wondered why the eggs are blue. Maybe it is just so we can have a look at the pretty blue eggs and wonder why they are blue.
AWESOME post and pics!! This is what Nature study and appreciating God's Creation is about. Sometimes we have to set our plans aside and just make the most of the opportunity that God presents to us!! Thanks you for sharing!!!--God Bless, Angie in GA
I thought they just popped the eggs out all at once. Very interesting. I hope the babies all grow big and healthy (and don't fall out of the nest too soon). And I'm all for fecal sacks!!!
=)
Post a Comment