May 18, 2008

Sole Defining

"The primary purpose of shoes is to protect your feet and prevent injury," according to one orthopedic web site.

Yeah, right.

Any woman will tell you, shoes are a LOT more than feet protection. They are a statement. They are a badge. You can tell so much about a person from the shoes they wear. Just ask Burberry, Dolce and Gabbana and Converse. People are always trying to find ways to define themselves. Funny thing is, most of the time they are letting someone else define them.

Don't get me wrong, I have felt the magic of slipping on a beautifully designed shoe. All of a sudden I feel like a lady waiting for my coach to arrive and whisk me off to the ball. Gone are the dirty dishes. Forgotten are the love handles. I can be my dream height of 5'7" with those shoes, if only for a night.

See? I'm just a regular girl. Flip-flops by day, Mary Norton in my dreams.

Let me tell you a story of the worth of a few soles.

During the days of the original Keds and high-top sneakers, I was a young girl just beginning to understand how important it was to have the right hair, clothes and shoes to fit in. The world was opening up to me. Shiny, bright advertisements that previously had no hold on me, now seemed so captivating. I began to realize all the things I didn't have and a nagging ache started to settle in my heart.

My dad was in the army. He was completing a residency program at Letterman Army Medical Center in San Francisco. He worked long, hard hours every day and often into the night supporting me, my mom and my 3 siblings.

I don't remember what his shoes looked like when he wasn't wearing combat boots. They were probably comfortable, old sneakers. Definitely NOT anything cool.

Of course, being 10 years old I was fairly oblivious to the sacrifices that my parents made for me and my siblings daily. I remember wanting. Wanting my ears pierced. Wanting a charm necklace with lots of charms. Wanting my own room.

And wanting new, hot pink L.A Gear shoes.

One night, while we were driving home from somewhere, we passed one of the many homeless people living on the streets of downtown San Francisco. My dad stopped and asked the man what he needed.

"Shoes," he said.

My dad took off the shoes from his own feet and handed them over to the stranger.

I don't remember what the stranger said or did. I don't remember a lot of the specifics of that night. After all, it wasn't a huge event. Just a simple, selfless gesture of kindness. But that gesture has influenced me to this day.

I have yet to see a pair of shoes more self defining than those soles handed over that night.

And I don't even remember what they looked like.


*I'm entering this post in Scribbit's monthly Write-Away contest. This month's topic is: Shoes.*

11 comments:

knittinbrit_in_wi said...

What a wonderful example your father is. It doesn't surprise me that he would do something like that. He is a man of action. You have been blessed with such wonderful parents. I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree!

The DeMille family loves your dad, he is such an interesting man. Caleb is particularly smitten by him and loves to hang out with him. Thank you for sharing tihs wonderful story.

Is it wrong, that I still feel the need to hunt down a black stiletto like the one you had posted. I have the perfect dress that it would go with.

Scribbit said...

Fabulous entry--your father sounds like a wonderful man. And teacher.

Ice Cream said...

Oops. I almost read this but when I saw the shoe I figured you might be entering it. SO, I'm not reading this here until after I finish judging so I don't have any bias. But I can't wait to read it. =)

Becky J. said...

What a great writer you are! And what a terrific story; thanks for sharing it with us!

Brent Hope said...

A foul, foul, foul entry it is that make a guy cry at work...just as his boss walks in. RATS!

You will pay.

The Parmleys said...

Sonja has kindly embellished the original incident. This is what happened: We were at church at a relief society enrichment. Because of the concerns for homeless people walking into the building, there was always priesthood presence. This particular night, a homeless man was sitting in the downstairs foyer. I went and sat with him and talked with him. He expressed a desire to leave if only he had a pair of shoes. I thought about it for a minute, gave him mine, and he left. You may leave for your own interpretation whether Sonja’s dad was benevolent or just trying to solve the problem of how to gently get this man to leave the building.

Ice Cream said...

I am glad to say that this was one fo the top 6 stories I had such a terrible time choosing between last night. I love this story, and the lesson learned from it.

Daisy said...

How generous and thoughtful.

Amy said...

I remember when you first told me this story...sniff, sniff...

Even after reading his revision.

He's not fooling anyone.

Sonja said...

Everyone~ thank you so much for the kind comments! Kim, Amy, I'm glad that you guys love my parents too! Kim, those stilettos are great, eh?

Dad~ I love you. I know I didn't write it exactly the way it happened, but I can write about lots of other times you have given selflessly to others. So there.

Michal said...

wonderful post. thanks for sharing your dad's example and putting some perspective on the hunger for pretty shoes that often nags at me!:)