Jul 3, 2008

Little Drops of Water

illustration by Jessie Wilcox Smith 1903

I've been trying really hard to remember a specific "ah ha!" moment that I've had in my mothering experience. I was hoping I could dig up something enlightening from my mental archives.

I've been pondering, trying to recall that thunderbolt of inspiration that I could possibly share with other veteran mothers. I've been sifting through a bunch of little moments trying to find it. As I stopped to reflect on some of those little moments I realized that, while they seemed small at the time, they ended up being pretty significant.

Like the time I just listened to Sam's Pokemon adventure for a half hour. It wasn't exactly on my top ten favorite list of things to listen to for a half hour, but I think it was important to him. Now, he knows I will listen when he has something to say.

Or when I just hold my Elise when she is having one of her difficult days. She really likes things to be exactly right. She tries hard to over-look imperfections most of the time, but some days it just has to be perfect and when it's not, life is very hard for her (and me). It's magical to know that my arms provide as safe place for her.

Playing Animal Bingo with Claire. Again. And again. And trying not to think about the dirty dishes that need to put away or the itch to check my email. I'm her friend. And sometimes she lets me win.

Carrying Anna. Holding her until she falls asleep. She needs me a lot still. It has been my experience that if I I fill that need now, she will be better at filling it herself later.

The scriptures tell us that it is by small and simple things, that great things come to pass.

I try to remember this as I'm mopping the floor or folding laundry. Not my favorite things. But Someday I hope these mundane, simple acts will leave some kind of imprint on my children's hearts. I do it for them.

For all my lecturing, I think the lessons that stick the most are the quiet talks just before bed time. The spirit can be felt a little better when we are quiet and still.

I like to be busy. I like to meet people, be outside, do projects, visit, watch movies and feel important. But when it comes to mothering, my most treasured moments are being still and quiet with my children. It's not easy, but I'm learning.

Someone wiser than me wrote:

Little drops of water,
Little grains of sand,
Make the mighty ocean
And the pleasant land.

Thus the little minutes,
Humble though they be,
Make the mighty ages
Of eternity.


This post was entered in Relishing Motherhood's writing contest.

3 comments:

Amber M. said...

So, so lovely, Sonja. I loved reading this and gleaning a little more about you through your experiences with your children.

Michal said...

beautiful. thanks for sharing your wisdom. sometimes the most important things we do aren't the big things at all. it's just about taking a few individual moments with our kids. thanks for reminding me of that--i'm on vacation/family reunion (translation: doing too many things on too little sleep), and it's a good idea to slow down and pay attention to their needs.

Becky J. said...

That was beautiful! It totally is the little moments that make up a life, not the big ones, and you're so smart to be making those little moments count for your kids. They are so lucky to have you!