Dec 2, 2009

Momentum

We just got back from our sixth "official" performance of Savior of the World.
(eleven more to go.)

It's 10:50 p.m.

Sam and Elise fell asleep on the way home.

The shows have been going well. We're settling into a groove.

We had a couple of interesting things happen, though. One night the sound system went biserk. All the music stopped at a critical point in Mary Magdalene's solo.

In the second act, Mary is at the tomb singing, "Where is he..?"
Just as she gets to the last verse there is a loud noise and then the music quits.

Silence.

Nothing.

Then her beautiful voice sings out, all alone,

"Where is He who dried the tears, of the suffering soul? Where is He who stayed our fears, He who made us whole,
He who healed the broken heart, He who calmed the storm, He who came to save us all. Where is he this morn?"

The music came back on at the very end of her solo. I think the audience may have thought it was suppose to be that way.

She told us afterwards that it was spiritual moment for her.

Sam is ultra compulsive about being in his spot at the right time. He's in a handful of scenes that require him to be in the right spot at the right time. It's nice that I don't have to worry about him. You know what else is nice? He is so kind and attentive to me during the show. He always offers me a chair if we're back stage. He's very loving. He asks if I need water. He's just been so nice.

And he usually is. But there was a moment tonight, when he looked up at me, that my whole being was filled with so much love and gratitude for that ten year old boy.

Elise is having a blast. She has made friends with everyone and everyone has been such a big help to her. I watch back stage while she says her lines on stage and I wonder at her confidence and grace. (Of course, off stage she's my lively, "sort-of-tom-boy", eight-year-old ball of energy.) But I'm grateful for that moment that I get to watch and get a glimpse of the young woman that ball of energy is becoming.

One thing I love about theater is how close everyone becomes when they are doing a show. It's a beautiful thing. What makes it even more joyous is the fact that in this show, we are all singing and testifying of the Savior and his love for us. It creates such a special environment and allows for moments of spiritual connection with people you hardly know. But then you feel like you've known them all your life.

We've also really enjoyed seeing some of our family and friends in the audience. We look forward to seeing more there! What a choice blessing! We love our family and friends so much.

Tonight we were able to bring a dear sister from our ward to the show. On the way home, as my children slept, we talked. We talked about shepherds and angels, children, houses and struggles. In the midst of the conversation, she told me about her husband's passing seven years ago and how he suffered from pulmonary fibrosis.

She mentioned that in his last moments, with his last breath his whispered "I love you. Thank you," and how that has sustained her these seven years later.

We went on to talk about other things-opera, the weather- but, oh how those few moments of conversation affected me.

It is now 12:13 am and I'm thinking of all these things and trying to weave them together, because in my mind I can see how they connect.

Perhaps it goes something like this:

This life is only a moment.
A moment made up of smaller moments
that will ultimately lead us all to the same moment of reckoning.

I am so grateful for the moments in my life that have brought me closer to my Savior. Never some big, grand revelation, but always small moments for me.

I'm grateful to know that during his greatest sorrow and anguish, Jesus Christ loved me
and you,
enough to endure that moment, so we can live with him, and our loved ones,
for so much longer than
a moment.



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tears at work. Great.

Anonymous said...

I cannot fathom the enormous sense of gratification that this must bring to you and your family. One of my talents is the ability to spot talent in others. I can say for certain that:
You have it.
Your delightful children have it. And your handsome husband has it.
(If you had a dog, he'd have it too!)
The beautiful thing to me is that you and your family share those talents to express the most wonderful and important message to mankind!

What a marvelous work you are doing! I cannot wait to witness the production first hand!

Montserrat said...

Beautiful testimony, Sonja. What a uniquely special experience you are able to share with your children.

Unknown said...

I love those little moments where everything is so clear. I wish I could see you all on stage.