We spent most of this day acquainting ourselves with London. Beyond the major tourist attractions, that is. Our first stop was Covent Garden. We were charmed by the street performers. There were two singers who were belting out opera and show tunes. They were incredible. When "Mr. Show Boy" started singing "Any Dream Will Do," we all started congregating and joined in on the chorus. By "we all" I mean everyone just milling around. Mothers, fathers, punks, children, grandparents, all nationalities, singing about dreams and beginnings and clapping their hands with happy enthusiasm.
Even though I was surrounded by complete strangers, we were all smiling at each other, connected briefly by this one, fantastic song. It was incredible.
Similar to how I felt while standing in front of Jules Breton's, Calling in the Gleaners, at d'Orsay in Paris. I felt connected to the people standing around me, wondering at the barefooted women bringing in the hay. I could smell the early autumn afternoon, the musty hay field and wondered if they did too. Is that woman in the background looking at a beautiful sunset? Would I have done the same thing? Or would I have been too tired to care, like most of the other women in the painting.
I really like feeling a connection to other people. Don't you think, when someone exerts a little creative energy, through a painting, singing, dancing, writing, etc. that some of their energy rubs off on you? Doesn't it linger in a really wonderful way? I suppose that's what they mean by "culture." The more culture you have, the better you are. Right? Well I say you can find "culture" just about anywhere. Some so very uplifting, others not so much.
After listening to the music for a while, we went into a few shops. There was this one shop that had some interesting toys. Old fashioned ones, where you have to use your imagination, you know? Jeremy took some great shots in there.
We also got some Cornish Pasties. Yummers. Only mine was so huge. A whole day's worth of calories in one hand. (see picture above)
Then we left the market and head to Trafalga Square. There was a Passion Play in process, as it was Good Friday. We stayed and watched for a while.
Later we met our friends, Sunny and Jason. We ate the most delicious meal at a cozy Italian restaurant in what must have been Diagon Alley. It was like a mini vacation within our vacation. I had lamb and it was good.
We originally wanted to go to a musical, but with the busy holiday weekend it was difficult to get tickets. Nevertheless, we felt we got plenty of live theater just walking around town.
Instead we went to see "Alice in Wonderland" at the movie theater. What a treat! Jeremy likes this movie much better than the book. We both agree the book is not one of our favorites.
We also agree that London is a beautiful town with much "culture" and plenty energy for us to soak up.


3 comments:
Oh so fun! I love that last pictures of you cute couples. And Jeremy is having so much fun! What a fun vacation for you.
So many of the things I love about London - you never know what you'll experience next.
As for everyone breaking into song for "Any Dream Will Do". In England, its almost a requirement that you know all words to all beatle songs and Andrew Lloyd Weber/Chris Rice musicals or any other musical for that fact. The Brits love a good sing song.
I'm so crazy homesick after reading these posts. I even looked up tickets and thought of taking a quick jog across the pond to see my mum and dad, but alas, tickets are higher than they have been in years (more than double what we usually pay). My parents even delayed their trip over here because of the high cost right now. So, I'm living vicariously through your posts.
Cornish pasties though - be still my heart - they're my favorites. Aren't they delish??? As for counting calories when in the UK on holiday, it's simply not possible. I ate scones and clotted cream every day of my vacation. I wonder why I gained five pounds in less than two weeks??!
Super fun!
Post a Comment