May 3, 2010

Boys and cars

Sam participated in his last pinewood derby as a cub scout last week. He also received his Webelos award and will be getting the Arrow of Light next month.

Yes, my first born is growing up. So fast.

Fast like those derby cars.

This scout shirt is getting too small. Next month we will go buy a real Boy Scout shirt.
derby12

Here are some highlights from the derby:

Working on cars is very much a father/son thing.
derby8

The finished product, christened "The Silver Comet."
derby10

Here it is in action. (Note the place)
derby9

Lots of suspense.
derby11

And cheering.
derby4
derby5

All the boys got a turn starting a race.
derby6

Sam's car won a couple of times. He was pretty excited about that.
derby7

He won second place overall and went home a happy young man.
derby3

Later that night Elise said, "Sam, I bet you can't wait to drive a real car. Only 5 more years!"
"Yeah, I know. That's going to be awesome," his reply.

Eep!
How is it that life is just racing by? I'm holding on tight while my family reminds me to enjoy the ride.

Sheesh....

5 comments:

Layla said...

Sam is such a charming young man. I loved those pictures of him. You are lucky to be his mom!

Montserrat said...

Love all the action excitement shots!

Christine said...

5 more years! Oh my goodness! Sonja, I don't know how you're going to do it. I think you'll have to come stay with me. Every time he leaves the house you will have a breakdown. Yeah. Come and stay with me. Yay!

Erica said...

I am just going to cry. That's all, not sad, just happy, and just getting all teary eyed!! Oh Sam...
Wait a minute, am I turning out to be as emotional as his mother?!!! Some days probably more!
I love you guys.

Jennifer Purdie said...

This makes me feel old. I remember meeting Sam when he was just a baby. It wasn't that long ago.