
This summer I volunteered our family to work once a week at This is the Place Heritage Park. My family is so good about humoring me.
Actually, the kids really love getting dressed up and being pioneers for a day.
And I can go no further with out publicly thanking my wonderful mother for making the girls' dresses and pantaloons. I get compliments on them all the time. I love my mother!
Sam slips into another world and time when he goes. Especially with the dialog. I've had people ask me where he is taking acting lessons. They are always so surprised when I tell them he's not.
Elise is in heaven with all the animals. It's exciting for me, as mother, to see my children grow into and develop their talents.
Claire is happy to run around with friends. She also takes her house chores very seriously (hmmm...) and loves to tend the baby animals.

Anna is happy to run around with Claire, tending animals and riding ponies. We had some drama last week, but with some training, a good night's sleep and plenty of food and water, this week was a much happier experience for her.


Another thing that makes this experience so much fun is that our friends are up there with us!
Here are a few of them in front of the house that we tend. The official term is "interpreters." That's what we are.We interpret the history for our guests at the park.

At times pioneer life seems so idyllic. It's quieter. It's moves at a slower pace. It's more family-centered.
Today we picked cherries. They will be really sweet in about a week, but we couldn't help ourselves.



Idyllic, yes?
Well, here's a little reality for you:
This morning Claire and Anna ate a whole pint of blueberries for breakfast. Then they ate pocket-fulls of cherries at the park. Can you see where this is going? Yep. To the loo. (or "necessary" as we call it at the park) Thank goodness for indoor plumbing.
This is the garden we help tend:

This little lamb was so new, it still had it's umbilical chord.


All in all, a very good day. Hot, but good. We come home tired and sleep well.
Yes,
this is the right place!
11 comments:
Fantastic, what a fun experience for the whole family!
-Erin W.
What an amazing experience to have, Sonja! I love your photos!
What an amazing way to contribute. As a mom, you are contributing to your children's appreciation of nature, a quieter way of looking at the world and appreciation of time spent as a family. As a community member, you are contributing to the learning of others who visit the farm. Not to even mention, the environmental impact being made with the farm's existence and the inherent learning that happens from caring for animals, gardens and other's homes. Beautiful experience, beautiful pictures, beautiful documentation of a unique family time!
That doesn't seem like work. (I am sure the laboring in the garden and such do) but it sure sounds fun.
Hmmm...maybe if I dressed my kids up in pioneer costumes they'd go for weeding the garden and feeding the animals around here a bit better. ☺
What a truly fun experience for you! How long will you be working there?
That is so cool that you guys do that!! Your kids are so lucky to have you as a mom! They get to experience so many wonderful things!
Oh, my these picture are idylic and absolutely stunning. This experience seriously sounds so so fun. What fantastic memories and things you are teaching your children. I LOVE their clothes. You have a marvelous mother.
We are all SO SO jealous as we see what you do there. My kids really want to be there doing chores and being with the animals with you. The kids are absolutely adorable in their dresses and braids, and hats and vests.
I think I would like to have been a pioneer woman if we could have lived next to you. I'd make doughnuts for when you all stop by. We'd have a worn out path leading from your door to mine.
what an awesome experience. good for you, for not fearing the commitment. i am such a commitment-phobe when it comes to scheduling our life, and yet what a wonderful gift to give your family. and the pictures are amazing, as usual.
What an awesome experience! How did you find out about doing that? This is something you will always remember:)
I so wish I could volunteer there. It looks amazing
Post a Comment