Oct 3, 2010

My exciting, creepy camping trip with Dad.

by Sam (age 11)

SDcamp7

For one thing we kinda got off to a late start because we missed the marker for the trail. By the time we found it the sun was starting to go down.

SDcamp6

Dad had the better pack, sort of. My sleeping pad and sleeping bag were on top of my shoulders. The beginning was especially hard because the trail was so steep. Half way up it started to level out so it got easier. Dad's legs are longer, so he was always ahead of me.

SDcamp4SDcamp3

The hike up there was about a mile. We wanted to see the lake before the sun went down.

When we got up to the meadow it was kinda cool because it was almost as if the sun was on top of the mountain.

SDcamp2

I set up the tent, and then it was pretty dark. I had the headlamp on. Dad was getting the food ready.

As I was zipping up my pant leg, Dad grabs my headlamp and says, "Sam! Give me the light!" He sounded a little urgent and it totally creeped me out and I was like "What the... dad?"

And then he shines the light on this near-by hill. I heard some noises close by but I couldn't really see anything. All of a sudden Dad makes this Whooop yell and claps his hands. I could barely make out a large, dark shape disappear over the hill.

After that we were on edge. We said a prayer and Dad asked for protection. We decided not to cook dinner. We just ate beef jerky.

THEN, a short time later there was this crashing noise going through the woods on the edge of the meadow. We also heard grunting noises. Then it came across the meadow. We couldn't see it, but we could hear it pass right by us and then go across the meadow.

That's when I decided it was time to go to bed. I was all shaky. Number one, it was cold and also I was totally freaked out.

I went straight to sleep.

But Dad didn't sleep well, apparently. He said he kept hearing noises and was worried. He slept with is pocket knife close by.

In the morning I had to go to the bathroom really bad, but it was still dark and there was no way I was going out there. Dad told me that large dark shape was a bear. The large crashing noise we later heard was probably moose. Dad told me how I should stay away from young moose because mother moose could be very dangerous.

Finally the sun came up. I can tell you this, it gave me courage. I could finally go out. But I insisted Dad go out first.

We ate oatmeal and drank hot chocolate for breakfast and more beef jerky.
SDcamp1

My first camping trip with dad was exciting in a creepy way. Yeah, I'm actually looking forward to the next one.

3 comments:

Montserrat said...

Exciting is right! Glad everyone was okay and it turned out well. Now you've got a great story to tell you own kids.

Unknown said...

I can just hear Sam telling the story! What a memorable first camping trip. Glad there were no close encounters with the bear.

Christine said...

What an exciting adventure! Sam, you are great for documenting this trip. I'm going to show it to my boys tomorrow morning. They will admire you for the rest of their lives.