Every year our school district and PTA hold a contest called "Reflections." It's an opportunity for kids to stretch their creative legs. They have categories such as
Visual Art
3D Art
Photography
Dance
Music
Literature
This year, Sam and Elise entered poems in the Literature category. This year's theme was:
"Together We Can"
There were only two winners in the Literature category for 3rd through 6th grade.
Guess who they were?
Yep.
So proud.
I figured you'd want to read the poems and their artist's statements.
Sam's:
I was inspired to write about American history because I love my country. The only reason we have come this far is because people have worked together.
Together
Samuel A.
Together, they won their independence.
Together, they built a nation.
Together, they abolished slavery.
Together, they used the westward expansion to their advantage.
Together, they built the transcontinental railroad.
Together, they pulled though the great depression, a nightmare.
Together, they recovered.
Together, they saved countless lives, but lost many during the world wars.
Together, they became a superpower.
Together, they had their dreams, and made them reality.
Together, we can, too.
Elise's:
My poem relates to the theme because people are working together to plant trees to help the earth. I made the words come together to make a tree just like the people came together to plant trees.
TREES
I planted a seedling.
Seed, seed, seedling.
Then someone came to help me.
Me, me, me.
We planted two seedlings.
Seed, seed, seedlings.
Then someone came to help us.
We, we, we.
We planted three seedlings.
Seed, seed, seedlings.
Then finally,
they
grew
into
trees.
By: Elise A.
Not bad, eh? The poems definitely reflect their individual style.
So, we may not get trophies for soccer, football or hockey, but I've got two shiny trophies in my living room with LITERATURE on them.
Please. as. punch.
6 comments:
Ah! Your children are growing up! They are so smart and talented. Both poems were amazing to me, and I can only hope that my children will do things as amazing as yours!
Wow, very impressive! They're on track to becoming as amazing as their momma!
Mummu and Pappa are delighted that Sam and Elise took time to think and write those amazing poems.
Way to go!!!
Because I'm related to them I some how feel smarter. What creative kids you have! I know they get their creative genes from their amazing parents. I'll bask in your pleased-ness. Tell Sam and Elise we love them and think their poems are wonderful!
I remember Reflections. They had that at Sunrise Elementary School in good old Puyallup. Thanks for posting!
What great poems!
Post a Comment