Nov 27, 2011

And then there were seven....

_MG_1401


Isaac 
He laugheth. The child of promise, and the heir of the promises.

You came on Sunday.
While the leaves were falling and Autumn was threatening to turn to winter.

We finally got the call to go to the hospital at around 12:00pm. Such a strange feeling to walk into a place knowing that when you walk out, you will never be the same person. It still felt surreal. Was this really happening? Were we really going home with a baby?

I got all hooked up and we started contractions at around 1:00pm. Also strange. A strange way to being labor, but I had such a sure feeling that this was how it should be. My health was deteriorating. You were vital and strong within me so far. I loved hearing your strong little heart beat and to feel your arms and legs stretch and bounce within me. 

Galloping horses. That's what your tiny little heart sounded like, all through out the day.

Labor progressed slowly. I was quite pleased with how well I handled the contractions, unmedicated. That would change.

Around 6:30pm they broke my water.  Images of oceans, raging rivers and, surprisingly, baptisms came to me amidst the very uncomfortable feeling.

I knew you would come quickly now. 

So did everyone else.

The very kind nurses suggested this would be the time to call the anesthesiologist. I looked over at Jeremy and then back at the nurses and timidly said I would hold off. One of the nurses, with pity in her voice, said that I could ring for them if I changed my mind. 

Your daddy. He is a wonderful wonderful man. He knew I wanted to go unmedicated. But that was before everything. The unwanted diagnosis, the pictocin, the scheduled birth. 

Minutes. Maybe just one and a half. That's all it took for the wild and completely core shaking contractions to take over. I looked over at Jeremy again and asked, "Why? Why the heck am I doing this without medicine??" 

He responded with, "Well, remember, you wanted to recover quickly, to feel your legs and to feel Isaac coming. Remember that it will be over soon."

That argument did not hold up one bit in my mind and I rang for the the nurse to call the anesthesiologist. 

I looked back over at your daddy and asked if he was disappointed. He said no, he loved me.

That was exactly what I needed to hear.

The anesthesiologist came with in a few minutes (that seemed like hours of writhing in that hospital bed). He came with his big, square, black glasses and surgical cap. He very calmly talked me through every step of the epidural process. Which, to me, who could barely breath  between periods of the most intense pain I have ever felt in my life, seemed totally contradictory. 


As the process began, I doubted my choice. It seemed more painful to take the pain away! As I was rolled up in a ball, thinking I might die, I heard the sound of a horse galloping. It gave me strength. YOU gave me strength and all I wanted was to see you here safely and hold you in my arms. I focused on the galloping heart beat. 


The next hour and a half is a blur in my mind. I'm not even sure how to describe it. Everything happened so fast. I went from being 4 cm dilated to pushing in that time. It was crazy intense. The epidural didn't really have a chance to take effect. All of a sudden I felt you descend. I'll never forget that feeling. The nurses jumped into motion so fast when I told them I felt pressure. The doctor was paged and within minutes you were born.


You were born. Of me and your dad. Of pain and elation. Of water and blood. Of joy.
_MG_1312
_MG_1308web


I was overcome with emotion. Instant replay of the births of your siblings was running through my mind. I quietly thanked my Heavenly Father for your safe arrival and marveled at your beautiful body. 
Your robust, high pitched cry. Your long fingers and toes. Your perfectly round, bald little head. Your cleft chin, just like daddy, Sam, Elise, Claire and Anna. You are one of us.
_MG_1313
_MG_1323web_MG_1338web


We that were six are now seven and feel more complete than ever. 
_MG_1387web 


_MG_1363 web
Isaac Thomas
November 20, 2011
6 lbs 15 oz
20 1/2 inches

10 comments:

Sharalea said...

He is perfect!!! Congratulations, you family of SEVEN!! Hope the newborn sweetness is being shared by all of you...and that Mama is getting the rest she needs in between!

Sorry your birth plan was altered--sounds like you made ALL OF THE RIGHT CHOICES and I'm so glad you & baby are healthy and happy.

Welcome to the world, sweet one...and GREAT JOB, MAMA!!

Montserrat said...

Beautiful post and pictures! Issac...such a perfect name for him. I'm so glad it all went well and hope both you and Issac are recovering nicely.

~~Heidi~~ said...

Congrats, he is so beautiful! Yeah you have very darling kids, and I didn't even know you were expecting,(that is how out of blogging I have been ) But I am glad he made it safe! Way to go momma!

Amber M. said...

What a beautiful baby boy! Delicious. Much love to your family at this exciting time!

Sea Star said...

Congratulations on such a wonderful addition to your family! I am so glad everything turned out well. He is one lucky guy to come to such a lovely family!

Unknown said...

Loved hearing about Isaac's birth. He is so beautiful and I can't wait to meet him. Seven is a perfect number!

corinne said...

sonja. i just got big tears in my eyes reading your beautiful post. i wish i had better words than "beautiful." your words, on the other hand, are moving, lovely, meaningful, and important. your baby is so blessed to have you. i am so glad he is here safe and sound and that you can recover. love to you and that precious baby boy. i can't wait to meet him. xo

Cori said...

Congratulations Sonja! You do such a wonderful job of conveying your experiences into words. Beautiful post and pictures! He is darling and I can tell well loved! This makes me excited for our upcoming arrival!:)

Karina said...

Congratulations! He is adorable. I also had to have a scheduled day, have my water broken, and be induced with Becca - none of which was my plan either. I didn't have any previous births to compare to, but contractions on pitocin were very hard and regular! However, you did chose a great day - Nov 20th is my bday too! :) Your last picture made me tear up, what a beautiful family, beautiful experience. Thanks for sharing it.

Christine said...

I love little Isaac. The little fuzziness of his cheek is so enticing!I'm glad you wrote down everything. Congratulations Sonja! I hope you and he are doing well. Seven is an excellent number and fills up your van just perfectly, doesn't it?