Feb 24, 2013

January what?

Well, folks, I'm not gonna lie. It's been a bitterly cold winter. January was the worst.
We had two weeks where the high was 12.
Snow on the ground everyday.
Smog in the air almost every day, due to the crazy inversion.
_MG_5465

Yet there have been some bright spots:
_MG_5473
He smiles almost every morning when he wakes up.
I love his smile.
_MG_4954
He looks very super hero-ish in this pajama outfit.

But my heart was sad when he was so sick in January. I believe it was the flu. It came on all of a sudden. High fever, 103 and 104, crying because he hurt and loss of appetite. He had the first flu vaccine in November and was suppose to have another in January, but they ran out.
_MG_5009
He had a blessing from his father. I was going to take him into the doctor, but something inside me told me he would be ok.
I think it was because, even though he wouldn't eat any solid food, he still nursed. And nursed and nursed.

There was a time when he was very little that I almost gave up nursing him. He was a few weeks old and the doctor told me he had breast milk jaundice. He wasn't gaining weight, he was losing it! He struggled to latch on and would cry and wimper because it was frustrating. I supplemented with a bottle and part of me just wanted to let go of the whole nursing business. It was hard! It hurt! It was frustrating!

But I prayed and prayed about it and felt that I should keep trying. Eventually the jaundice went away and Ike became stronger.
I sang "I am a Child of God" every time he latched on properly and nursed. Then when he had trouble latching on, I would sing the song and I think it helped "remember" how to latch on.
Anyhoo, a routine was forming and things were going well for a few months. Until teeth started to come. Then we had a whole other  set of problems and I almost gave up again.

But this month, I'm so glad I didn't give up earlier. I truly believe it helped prevent a hospital visit. After 5 days Isaac was fever free and eating solid food again. Two days later he was running and jumping and playing.
_MG_4984
Don't they look alike?

_MG_5001
There were plenty of opportunities to play and build in the snow.
_MG_4983

Sometimes we just like to be inside.
_MG_4979
_MG_4975

I celebrated another birthday. Gettin' old.
_MG_5018

My wonderful parents took Elise and Sam to Hawaii.
P1000455
P1000428
P1000420
P1000412
P1000408
P1000466
P1000502
P1000535
Rough, right? They had a great time! They brought back a little aloha with them.

Anna and Claire pretended they were in Hawaii. It was awesome, in their mind.
_MG_5019

So, while we remain firmly in winter's grip here in Utah, I count my blessings this month. And there are many.

1 comment:

Sharalea said...

This post is just awesome. Love your smiling family, the Hawaiian escape, and most especially your faith-filled mothering. Thank you for being an inspiration!

So glad little man is feeling better! Can't believe how big he looks running down the hallway in his superhero pjs!