How do you keep from going to pieces when your whole day seems to be falling apart? I've been known to belt out some musicals, write poetry, run...far...away, or just whine about it here at the ol' blog.
Are you ready for the biggest whine of your life?
Ah hem...
My head feels like it's going to explode from all the lovely pollen and cotton wood around here.
I've been van-less for a long time. As in, no vehicle. Nada. My primary mode of transportation is the bike and its trailer and it is no fun to ride a bike in 90 degree weather with four young children in tow. Jeremy has assured me that we will buy a car this weekend.
I found out today, as the boards were coming off the fence in the back, that our neighbors are planning on building a brick wall in the back.
"And we will have to dig up most of your garden," the hired contractors tell me.
The garden that we protected from the gopher; that we endured misquote bites for to make sure it got watered; that is the reason our hands are chapped; that we are just beginning to enjoy the fruits of; that we nourished with the sweat of our own bodies! Yeah, that garden. I spent a good chunk of my day today trying to work that whole situation out.
Was there a bee in my bonnet, you ask? Heck yes.
Despite my best efforts, I can not get more than 6 hours of sleep at night. The past few nights I've gone to bed before 11pm, but now my daughters are having a hard time sleeping. Bad dreams, bed wetting, endless thirst, and loud motorcycles have been keeping me from my sweet dreams. Yes, it's probably good that I've been going to bed earlier, so that I can help my girls during this time and not be a complete monster, but this is a whine, remember? If I'm going to give up that precious alone time, I want 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep, by jingo!
I remembered today that clear contact paper makes me insane. Why do I forget that? I begin a new project and think: this time, this time it will work for me. It will be easy. I don't have to run to the store to have this poster laminated. I already have some contact paper on hand (from the last project that drove me insane). I'm so clever and frugal, aren't I?
No, no, no! I should have taken it to the store to be laminated! It is ABSOLUTELY worth it to pay a little extra than to spend many minutes trying to make clear contact paper look good.
My upstairs bathroom sink is clogged.
The. kids. are. going. crazy. I need to have some discipline and order. Right now. Chaos is raging and I feel helpless against the tide that is summer vacation. We've had our break and now there WILL BE order. and charts. and plans. and lists, so help me...
Jeremy stepped on a huge, ugly, white, grub or caterpillar this morning in our bedroom. We deduced that the poor creature must have climbed in his jeans while they were hanging on the fence to dry yesterday. Talk about yuck. I mean, he described the sound of the squish. Blech...
I was so paranoid about all the laundry, I had to go through and shake all of it. And I prepared myself for the worst: A gianormous, yucky bug infestation in half the clothes we own. Thankfully, I didn't find any others. Yet.
I guess I was expecting this list to be a little longer. It's comforting to think, maybe this wasn't such a bad day after all. It could have been worse, no?
And now for my Broadway belt...
TOMORROW, TOMORROW, I LOVE YA, TOMORROW, YOU'RE ALWAYS A DAY AWAY!

17 comments:
Wow Sonja, what a day! I am so sorry but I am feeling the exact same way. Too many things have been cramping my good mood too and sometimes I just hide in my room and cry. But I too hope for a newer and fresher day so hopefully tomorrow will be brighter. Good luck!
Well, at least the day is over with now! I've been having trouble getting more than five hours of sleep lately too. Mostly because of farming. Hubby leaves about 3am to bale the girls leave about 4:30am to rake. I'm a very light sleeper so any noise wakes me up.
That is gross about the worm/caterpillar! And I hope you find a nice, easy on the gas mileage car this weekend.
Oh I hope you can somehow save your garden! And good luck with the car. If Tarl had it his way he'd sell you our Honda. He badly wants to get rid of it. I wish you many good, long, sleepless nights my dear friend!
Oh, you dear lady. Those are the kind of days they made cookies and Kleenex for. Hopefully, today will be better!
I sending bad karma to your neighbors...digging up a garden half-way through the summer??? Unthinkable.
Love you Sonja! If there's anyone I know that WILL get through the rough days, it's you. I hope today is better! I have "one of those days" all the time...., but thanks for letting me read about your "one of those days." I LOVE your honesty.
Poor Sonja! That sounds like a very long day. I hope today is better and that you get lots of great news. Maybe you could bring the kids to playgroup today and they'll wear themselves out running through the sprinklers! :) Good luck!
"By jingo" you are so cute!
I was reading your list thinking, been there-done that, until I got to the garden. You have got to be kidding me. I think the neighbors should compensate you with free organic vegetables throughout the summer!!!
Oh Sonja-- this was SO me last week!! And - tomorrow will totally come:) I feel for you and love your "singing musicals" to get through it!
Doesn't it feel good to get it all out! Hoping that you had a better night last night, and that you get that car soon!
Oh I know days like this. But they are always so hard to get through. I too have been having sleep issues. My kids aren't sleeping as well and therefore I am not either. That alone makes everything else difficult to deal with.
I am so sorry about the garden. Maybe there can be some sort of compromise. It would be horrible to loose all those fresh veggies.
I hope the car shopping goes well. It would be very hard to deal with life without a vehicle.
can't your neighbors wait until the fall? the garden might be the worst part. although finding a caterpillar type bug in your bedroom might be up there. i'm sorry that you're feeling so on the edge. we have all been there (and some of us are there all too often!:) hang in there--i know it will get better. you are amazing and are allowed to whine once in a while.
Let it out girlfriend! We all are cheering for you- this is some serious business going on over at wonder years. I don't know if I feel worse about the car or the garden? But I know for sure, I pity your sleep situation! I hope you can rebound stronger out of this weeks "plan of salvation"...what an irony sometimes isn't it?
Oh Sonja! I just kept GASPING as I read each and every unfortunate and tragic event! Your garden!? NOOOOOOO! Maybe fence-guy should start reading your blog.
I think of all your posts, in this one most of all it was like I could really hear your voice. It was like you were right here next to me! It's just that I know how your voice gets higher when you get all fired up. If you WERE here you would have gotten this hug.
I'm so sorry!!! The pollen all by itself would make me feel this way, but with everything else on top of it--whine all you want :) We all have those days.
I know, do the pottery reconstruction and let go of some of your frustration smashing those little pots!! That was seriously one of the best moments of last week for me :)
I do hope you're having a better day and that you can sleep a little longer. I'm grumpy today because my neighbors were outside yelling (and probably drunk) at 3:15 this morning!
I think you have every right to whine right now, and I am right there with you with being bugged by allergies.
And do they really have a right to dig up your garden?!?
I can relate. Sometimes I feel like George Bailey from "It's a wonderful life" when he's already angry and as he reaches for the banister of his staircase he inadvertently pulls the top cap off. He immediately yells at his wife and you can see him want to burst!! I soooo feel like that from time to time.
When someone vents the way you have in this post there is a sort of sideways comfort bestowed upon the reader that says, "I'm not the only one that feels that way!" I appreciate and thank you for that!
As a reader I can't help but want to cheer you on and encourage you that these yucky feelings will soon pass; also reminding you that your gift for posting such gentle and sweet posts are a bright spot in the lives of many. Even an oasis from their mad schedule. So thanks again.
Reminds me of a Paul Mccartney lyric:
Bend, little willow
Wind's gonna blow you
Hard and cold tonight
Life, as it happens
Nobody warns you
Willow, hold on tight.
Nothing's gonna shake your love
Take your love away
No one's out to break your heart
It only seems that way...hey
Sleep little willow
Peace gonna follow
Time's gonna heal your wounds
Grow to the heavens
Now and forever
Always came too soon.
Little willow
Oh Sonja, I'm so sorry you had it rough last week! Sounds like things may be looking up now. I yearn to help and can only think of recommending the book Positive Parenting by Glenn Latham...it worked wonders for us and our disciplining efforts.
Things will improve...you're doing great!
Post a Comment